Wednesday, November 15, 2006
The Ten Possible Alternative Uses for the Cebu International Convention Center
Note: Although the government keeps on denying that the skeletal Cebu International Convention Center will still be used in the upcoming ASEAN Meet - the main point is -it's still skeletal framework. The completion of such a gargantuan, not to mention expensive structure - will take TIME. Conventions such as ASEAN are not held in the Philippines regularly. In order to avoid reaching white elephant status, I suggest the following alternatives for the more that P800 million project.
1. Turn it into the newest and biggest branch of Gaisano Mall.
2. Use it as a training academy for amateur Cebuano singers to prepare them for various talent shows.
3. Turn it into a call center and officially call it as Cebu International Call Center...
4...or into a state-of-the-art, leakage-proof nursing review center.
5. Use it for the 2020 ASEAN Meet. By that time, according to Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, the Philippines will be part of the First World. Suggested theme: Philippines Reaches the Enchanted Kingdom.
6. Make it as the official setting for Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia's photo shoot for Zee Magazine and The Philippine Tattler.
7. Turn it into the personal playground of Arroyo's grandchildren.
8. New Malacanang of the South, anyone?
9. Better yet, the new Malacanang.
10. Of course, use it as the official election headquarter of the administration. Why? It's Cebu. The COMELEC need not adjust much on their cheating strategies. Garci would be very much at home.